I’ve been meaning to pack my hospital bag for the last few weeks… but with the
persuasion help of my best friend, K, we’ve managed to pull together my essentials for labour, birth and brief hospital stay. This is my second labour, having given birth to O over 4 years ago, but I honestly had no idea what to pack. It’s like starting from scratch again! So, what’s in my hospital bag?
Essentials for: Labour & Birth
In my pregnancy with O, I spent hours pulling together a playlist of my favourite music to play during labour with songs by the Foo Fighters, Aerosmith, Muse and the like. I don’t really remember it playing, although it did play for the entirety of the labour, and it didn’t really help. This time, I’ve downloaded some relaxation music to help me through and I think this will work much better! So, what’s in my hospital bag for labour…
- Pregnancy Notes;
- An old Nightie to labour in;
- Flip Flops to wander around in comfortably and for ease of getting in/out of the birthing pool;
- Massage Oil – during O’s labour, I had a lot of pain in my back. Hopefully, massage can help with the ‘pain’ of contractions;
- Dressing Gown;
- Hair bobbles;
- Isotonic Drinks & Snacks – I’ve chosen a bag of pear drops (who doesn’t love pear drops?!) and a bag of peanuts and raisins for energy – if I can stomach to eat anything;
- Phone chargers;
Essentials for: Baby
This has been the hardest section to figure out as it’s been so long since I had a newborn baby! O was a summer baby too so I didn’t have the cold to factor in either! So, here’s what’s in my hospital bag for baby…
- Vests, minimum 3;
- Sleepsuits, minimum 3;
- Scratch mitts;
- Woollen hat;
- Petroleum Jelly.
Essentials for: Mum’s Hospital Stay
The time after birth needs to be made as comfortable as possible for Mum, I remember… and be filled with as much rest as possible. So, here’s what’s in my hospital bag for Mum’s hospital stay…
- Maternity Pads;
- Comfortable underwear & nursing bras;
- Comfortable clothes;
- Hair Brush;
- Breast Pads;
- Hair-dryer & diffuser;
- And last, but not least, chocolate.
Would you add anything to my list? What did you pack in your hospital bag?