Last weekend, we were invited to an event in Manchester for the sole purpose of introducing O to the world of golf! He was so excited to get to try out a different sport. He absolutely loves football, rugby and swimming, not to mention cycling and running – so golf is naturally another feather he’d like to add to his cap.
The event was led by four professional instructors, each located at a different set-up, to develop the children’s skills for each game. There were chipping nets, ten pin golf, and an indoor putting course. O really enjoyed each section, especially the indoor putting course. He loved trying to beat his personal best – the number of goes he needed to score the hole! He got down to two putts on most of courses, which was excellent considering he’s never played golf before.
The first section he visited was the chipping net, where his instructor explained how he should hold a club properly and the difference between hook and slice. O is left-handed so needs to stand differently and hold the club the other way around to the majority. He has a great swing, and the instructor picked O out of the crowd because of it to take part in the trickster show at the end of the event! He was proud as punch – and so were his Dad and I!
Q really enjoyed the day, albeit, was a bit of a handful until we figured he just wanted a ball to play with! We’ve got another little mini-golfer, I think! We had a really good day down in Manchester and the event was great – definitely worth all the travelling!
The pro-instructors have shared with us their top 5 reasons why we should get our kids into golf, and I can’t disagree tbh! It’s definitely something we’re considering as a long-term hobby for the kids as there’s lots of fantastic golf clubs in Cumbria.
Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Choose Golf For Kids
- Every kid can play golf! For golf you don’t have to be tall, strong or fast or lean. Successful golfers come in all shapes, sizes and ages.
- It’s low-risk! Chances of injuries in golf are very small to non-existent compared to other popular sports like soccer, football or rugby. Being no-contact, golf is a very safe, respectful sport.
- It’s healthy! Golf is an outdoors sport giving your kid the opportunity to exercise al fresco whilst enjoying nature.
- It creates bonds with friends & family! Whether your kid plays golf with family members, friends or takes lessons with a pro, mentoring and playing together will create unique and close bonds that will last a lifetime.
- Your kid will learn important life lessons! Playing golf your kid will experience highs and lows, from the first hole-in-one or birdie to a misplaced shot in a bunker. Golf will teach your kid that though we can’t always win, we always have another shot in life and skill comes with practice.
Have you considered golf as a hobby for your kids?
Disclosure: We were invited to the Online Golf #OGGetKidsIntoGolf event free of charge. All views are our own.