I posted a picture on my Instagram last week and was asked for the recipe for my Healthy Chicken Fajitas, so thought I’d post it on my blog!
These Healthy Chicken Fajitas are really quick to make (and eat!) so are great for working families with a busy lifestyle like ours. The spice mix isn’t very hot, so I’m sure children would enjoy them too! However if you’d like a bit of a kick to your Fajitas, just add a bit more chilli powder to your taste. Chicken Fajitas are one of our favourite meals and we eat these a lot!
This recipe serves 4, so that’s 2 Chicken Fajitas each, and takes around 30 minutes to prepare and cook.
3 chicken breasts
Juice of half a lime
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
2 little gem lettuces, prepared and shredded
3 tbsp half-fat creme fraiche
8 tbsp mild tomato salsa dip
1 tbsp olive oil
2 peppers, deseeded and sliced
1 red onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
8 flour tortillas (small)
1. Trim any skin or fat from the chicken breasts and slice into thin strips. Put these in a bowl and pour over the lime juice and spices. Season with salt and pepper and mix well to ensure they’re all coated with the spice mix.
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat and stir-fry the chicken for 3 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from the pan.
3. Put the pan back on the heat and add the peppers and onion. Stir-fry for a few seconds before adding a splash of cold water and fry for 3 minutes more until they begin to soften and brown.
4. Add the chicken back to the pan with the peppers and onion and stir-fry for a couple of minutes – check that the chicken is definitely cooked all the way through.
5. Warm the tortillas as per the instructions on the packet – usually in the microwave for a few seconds or in the oven for a few minutes.
Then serve! Create your healthy Chicken Fajitas by spreading 1 tbsp of salsa onto the centre line of a tortilla and top with shredded lettuce. Then add a portion of the chicken, pepper and onion mix, and finish it off with a small amount of creme fraiche.
These Chicken Fajitas have featured in my meal plan for the last two weeks, and will continue to do so! I hope you love these as much as we do!